Health and Safety Business Partner
Based in Peterborough, McIntyre Electrical Limited (‘MEL’) is a leading national supplier of electrical, fire safety and security services for the Social Housing sector. The Company employs over 200 people and has an ambitious growth plan to double its size over the next few years.
Reporting directly to the CEO and a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) the primary role of the H&S Business Partner is to advise staff on all safety, health and welfare matters to ensure the business complies with its statutory obligations. The individual will work in partnership with all areas of our business to provide guidance and leadership on Health, Safety and Welfare management through effective business partnering and ensuring we embed a culture of safety across the business. This is a new role and key to support our long-term business strategy
- Elect and set up H&S representative meetings as per statutory requirements.
- Overall responsibility and compliance of the Company’s H&S processes, supporting management in embedding a culture of Health, Safety and Welfare within the business
- Implement practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices in the workplace.
- Conduct/organise relevant health and safety training for staff as required, including first aid and fire safety.
- Review and support all “risk assessments” as required by legislation and are reviewed at relevant intervals and to maintain records of the same.
- Conduct & carryout internal and compliance audits; report on findings and manage issue log through to completion.
- Carry out specific risk assessments and special assessments for McIntyre sites as required by business, including display screen equipment, manual handling, lone working, fork lift loading, pregnant workers, young workers etc.
- Co-ordinate and manage first aid and fire safety representatives for all RHA sites. ∙ To recommend & implement control measures and advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees. ∙ To carry out investigations into all accidents and near-miss incidents and to record the findings on the relevant forms.
- Advise the Senior Management Team of all incidents reportable under R.I.D.D.O.R. ∙ Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports and documents as required. ∙ To identify areas where training/certification is required to meet the standards imposed by Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, or H.S.E. guidance. Arrange such training/certification once identified. ∙ Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and implement such changes where relevant. ∙ Bring to the attention of the Exec Leadership Team any relevant new legislation. ∙ Attend such courses/seminars run by external sources to enable accurate interpretation of legislation to enable implementation within the organisation.
- Immediately contact the Leadership Team if situations are found, that in the opinion of the H&S Business Partner, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation. ∙ Any other ad hoc health and safety duties as required
- Report monthly to the CEO/CFO on agreed pro-active and reactive measures and KPI’s
- Supporting growth opportunities across the contracts such as quoted works, upselling and adjacent opportunities. Provide support in bids and tenders.
The ideal candidate for a Health and Safety Business Partner at MCS will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role/environment is essential.
- Previous multi-site experience/field service is ideal.
- Qualification in occupational health and safety, such as a masters, NVQ, BSC or NEBOSH national diploma is essential.
- Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to the Companies business.
- Effectively influence those at a senior level.
- Professional in their approach to dealing with issues and employees.
- Appreciation of confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong organisational or administrative skills with attention to detail and a methodical approach. ∙ Focused on delivering outstanding customer service to the business’s external customers and contractors.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will get:
- A base salary of up to £35,000 per annum
- Ongoing career development opportunities
- A company vehicle
- Phone and Tablet
- A 24-hour wellbeing helpline
- Company Pension Scheme
- 30-day holiday allowance (including bank holidays)